Re: How to encourage a former creationist to persevere in faith?

From: Bill Hamilton <williamehamiltonjr@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Aug 19 2005 - 13:39:07 EDT

Glenn Morton, I and a number of others on this list have made this painful turnabout. She has my sympathy. One thing you might have her read is Howard Van Till's article "When Faith and Reason Meet" in "Man and Creation: Perspectives on Science and Theology", Hillsdale, Mi, Hillsdale College Press, 1993. She might also like Van Till's book, "The Fourth Day: what the Bible and the heavens are telling us about the creation". The position I've come to is that everything that occurs in nature occurs under God's sovereignty, including evolution. Some Christians react negatively to the idea that random variations in environment and the genome drive evolution. But what appears to be randomness to us is not randomness to God, whose ways are higher than ours. Granted this leaves a lot of questions unanswered -- such as the problem of evil. But it's a start.

Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com> wrote:I'd welcome peoples' opinions.

I've a friend who was once a creationist, but now no longer so, and
accepts evolution. However, she says that now, as an evolutionist,
she finds it harder to persevere in her faith, as evolution "somehow
weakens God" in her mind.

How would people on the list approach this and encourage said person
to persevere and not to lose faith?

Iain

--
Those who can count and those who can't.