Re: How to encourage a former creationist to persevere in faith

From: Richard Fischer <dickfischer@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri Aug 19 2005 - 11:03:43 EDT

Iain Strachan wrote:

>I'd welcome peoples' opinions.

>I've a friend who was once a creationist, but now no longer so, and
>accepts evolution. However, she says that now, as an evolutionist,
>she finds it harder to persevere in her faith, as evolution "somehow
>weakens God" in her mind.

>How would people on the list approach this and encourage said person
>to persevere and not to lose faith?

YECs sell their schtick because they say it is literal. Essentially, TE is a "weaker" position because traditionally TEs try to accommodate Genesis by assigning the inspired text to some condescending category such as allegory, tradition, mythology, or poetry. By contrast, what I have found more satisfying is to regard the Genesis narrative as the history of the Semitic people. Somehow we got it into our heads is was a garbled account of human history, whereas it does appear to have historical integrity when placed totally in the context of Mesopotamian history. It may not work for everyone (althought I think it has an odds-on chance of being true), but it does for me and some others who have taken the time to check it out, and it might for your friend.

Send her to our web site and have her check out the articles I did for PSCF titled: "In Search of the Historical Adam, Parts l and ll." If she still has questions tell her to email me.

www.genesisproclaimed.org