Re: How to encourage a former creationist to persevere in faith?

From: <Dawsonzhu@aol.com>
Date: Fri Aug 19 2005 - 04:45:17 EDT

>Iain Strachan wrote:
>
>>I'd welcome peoples' opinions.
>>
>>I've a friend who was once a creationist, but now no longer so, and
>>accepts evolution. &nbsp;However, she says that now, as an evolutionist,
>>she finds it harder to persevere in her faith, as evolution "somehow
>>weakens God" in her mind.
>>
>>How would people on the list approach this and encourage said person
>>to persevere and not to lose faith?

I think in many ways, we each have to find our own way through
this. I didn't come to Christianity with the need for YEC,
indeed, it was actually YEC that had done a good job of driving
me away. But knowing some YEC folk, I can appreciate the
crisis this would cause. The only real advice I could offer
for such a crisis is to just keep walking forward and trusting
that God is in control. It is really hard to do sometimes when
I see so much evil in the world, but I can do nothing else.

Finally, when everything is counted up, you just have to
make up your mind, are you with the Lord or are you with
the world. One needs to think deeply about why he/she is
in this world and if there is any purpose at all in being
here.

It is much easier to sacrifice one's life if he/she
"knows the truth". We think twice about things if we don't
know. But which is really better for God; a blind faith or
a dedicated faith? I think the dedicated faith because you
have really made a choice, and it is not out of ignorance.
You admit that you could be wrong and maybe the athiests are
right. Yet you chose to go on trusting that God does want you
to obey him in spite of what appears to happen often in the
world. Try to go with psalm 15, that moral courage goes with
having the strength of character to accept disapointment,
fortitude to cope with bad luck, and forbearance to cope
with frustration and failure. These are things that we can
do as we trust God in all things. The issue of evolution
should look at lot smaller when you see it that way.

by Grace alone we proceed,
Wayne