Re: How to encourage a former creationist to persevere in faith?

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 22:58:24 EDT

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 21:43:13 +0100 Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
writes:
> I'd welcome peoples' opinions.
>
> I've a friend who was once a creationist, but now no longer so, and
> accepts evolution. However, she says that now, as an evolutionist,
> she finds it harder to persevere in her faith, as evolution "somehow
> weakens God" in her mind.
>
> How would people on the list approach this and encourage said person
> to persevere and not to lose faith?
>

> Iain
> --
Iain,
Having passed from YEC to TE myself, I found peace in the fact that it
was not what the Bible taught that was a problem, but what some people
claimed it taught. But rather than trying to find a concordist position,
as Glenn suggests, I understand the first chapters of Genesis as
presenting a set of visions (6 in chapter 1, 1 in chapter 2)
understandable to the ancients to declare that he was responsible for the
very being of what the surrounding nations thought were gods, that he
created all of nature, that human beings are responsible to him..

However, your description of your friend's state seems to have different
overtones. She seems to feel that a God that is not from time to time
tinkering is not as real as one who is in the natural order. She needs to
realize that the Word is the Creator and the constant sustainer of the
universe as well as her Redeemer. He is as much present in everyday order
as he was in transforming water into wine--only we do not see him and his
mother and the disciples did. It seems to me that Satan is trying to make
your friend believe that God isn't real unless we can sense him or think
of him actively changing stuff around. Getting her to worry is, at the
moment, a useful effect for the evil one, one he intends to turn into
doubt.

By the way, a God who has to tinker to get things right seems to fit the
notion that the deity is not bright enough to get it right from the
beginning. But a proper theology has him omnipotent and omniscient.

You may come at the problem in a little different way. I assume that she
thanks the Lord for her food, even though it is provided through strictly
natural means, farmers and grocers, sun and rain, etc. It's God's gift
ultimately, though this does not conflict with the need for workers and
natural factors.

Finally, reality is not determined by how one feels.
Dave