Re: Mt. St. Helens and catastrophism

From: <bpayne15@juno.com>
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 22:08:06 EDT

Hi Doug,

Robert Gastaldo did a rebuttal of Austin's Floating Mat Model:
    "A Case Against Pelagochthony: The Untenability of Carboniferoius Arborescent Lycopod-Dominated Floating Peat Mats", in _THE EVOLUTION-CREATION CONTROVERSY, Perspectives on Religion, Philosophy, Science and Education_, The Paleontological Society Special Publication No. 1, KR Walker - editor, 1984 (reprinted 1996), pp 97-116.

In 1998 you could order reprints from:

     Barbara Pitman
     Paleontological Society Special Publications
     The Carnegie Museum of Natural History
     4400 Forbes Avenue
     Pittsburgh, PA 15213-4080

James Mahaffy's opinion of Gastaldo's work is at:
     http://www.asa3.org/archive/asa/200106/0046.html

In 1998I reviewed Gastaldo's 1984 article referenced above; it may be
found at:
     http://www.asa3.org/archive/asa/199804/0389.html
     http://www.asa3.org/archive/asa/199805/0030.html
     http://www.asa3.org/archive/asa/199805/0119.html

I quote a fair amount of his paper so hopefully folks can follow Gastaldo's argument in context with my review. It's been 7 years since I did this review, so I may very well disagree with some or much of what I said then. I haven't gone back and re-read it yet.

Hope this helps,

Bill