Re: How to encourage a former creationist to persevere in faith?

From: Glenn Morton <glenn_morton@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 17:49:02 EDT

Sorry, Michael, this is precisely the wrong approach. I would bet a steak dinner that she doesn't give a flip how many people hold, what to her, is an illogical position. Citing organizations and people like Conway Morris is merely an argument from authority and doesn't really solve the problem. So what if those people and organizations believe that the moon is made of green cheese? Does that mean that I must beleive the moon is made of green cheese? Such an argument don't even rise to a level above fallaciousness.

Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:I presume you mean a YEC, as all Christians are by definition Creationist,
hence stress belief in the Creator with methods secondary

1. Stress that most Christians accept evolution and have done for over a
century.
2. Use examples of present Christians , mention some in CIS or ASA,
depending where they live. Suggest likes of RJ Berry, Ian Prance .
3.Look to past Christians eg from 19th century
4 She may think Dawkins reflects true evolution, balance with limited
selectionists like Simon Conway Morris

A few late night thoughts

Michael