RE: Global warming problems in homeschool text

From: Duff,Robert Joel <rjduff@uakron.edu>
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 09:21:47 EDT

I think resistance to the idea of global warming among the general
Christian in the pew is not surprising. I think a large part of the
resistance is found as a secondary effect of the creation science
movement. What that movement has taught the lay Christian is to be
skeptical of science but more than that they have instilled an
especially acute skepticism of any data that involves using age
calculations. The global warming debate is all about statistics and
long terms trends. Trends are established by studies of ice cores and
so forth.

Why should the YEC worry about a human effect on an upswing in global
temperature when just 4000 years ago the earth was in a deepfreeze.
There hasn't been time for warm/cold cycles to have occurred so it is
nonsense to predict long term trends where there really isn't any data.
Because the climate change data is perceived to be based on old age data
there is no reason to say this is caused by humans. Who is to say that
the temps won't go cold next year? Besides, I detect in many of my
friends and attitude that God wouldn't let the earth get WAY out of
control.

I find these positions a bit ironic because if I really believed the
earth was only 400 years old and that dramatic climatic changes have
occurred rapidly in the recent past I would think I would be more
inclined to be worried about future climate change even if I didn't
believe it was being induced by humans.

Regards,
Joel
Akron OH