Re: Global warming problems in homeschool text

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 09:02:57 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sarah Berel-Harrop" <sec@hal-pc.org>
Cc: <asa@calvin.edu>
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2005 1:55 AM
Subject: Re: Global warming problems in homeschool text

> There was recently an article in Agape Press on this,
> reprinted here:
>
> http://www.gopusa.com/news/2005/august/0817_junk_science1.shtml
>
> It's a political link not by design, just happened to be
> there looking for something else and saw the article,
> thought it supports Gordon's point.
>
> I do not really understand the why's and wherefores on
> the resistance to global warming. I would note that
> the eagle forum has some pretty comprehensive
> curriculum plans that purport to present the Christian/
> Conservative (I mean here politically conservative)
> worldview, and it includes this stringent view of
> science, essentially a rejection of historical science.
>
> It's my observation that the people in Texas in the
> evo wars of 2003 also were very sure of the difference
> between "true science" like Mechanical Engineering and
> the like (this I say not to disparage ME) and "speculation"
> such as evolution. Global warming is viewed in much
> the same manner.

There is 1 rather glaring reason for resistance to global warming &
especially the idea that a major cause of it is use of fossil fuels & other
human actions: Acceptance of these claims would require some costly actions
to deal with the problem. I'm not suggesting that all resistance is driven,
consciously or subconsciously, by economic interests but they certainly are
a part of the mix.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/