Mt. St. Helens and catastrophism

From: <douglas.hayworth@perbio.com>
Date: Wed Aug 17 2005 - 15:35:05 EDT

Have any qualified geologists written a good rebuttal of the popular YEC
argument for catastrophism that is based on deposition of stratified rock
and formation canyons that occured in the Mt. St. Helens eruption? I think
the original creationist analysis was by Steve Austin (the six million
dollar man?), and I am seeing it cited frequently in YEC literature.

If a published detailed rebuttal does exist, I'd really like to know about
it. I'd like to find both a detailed "high-level" analysis version and a
simplified "layperson" version of such a rebuttal. I quite sure that
however stratified the eruption flows and deposits appear in Austin's
photographs, detailed inspection of the layers would easily demonstrate
that they are manifestly different that stratification that occurred by
normal processes over millions of years. It's just that I haven't been to
the site and I don't have the qualifications to describe those differences.

Thanks,
Doug