Re: Snoke's reply

From: <Dawsonzhu@aol.com>
Date: Tue Aug 16 2005 - 23:45:34 EDT

> From David Snokes (by way of Randy Isaac):
>"But I can't think of any cases in which a history of the origins, i.e.
>a theory of a specific path of changes, was used to generate useful
>predictions."

I think added to what Tim wrote is penicillin resistant
pathogens. There have been many articles trying to trace
what happened and, from that information, one can predict
what is likely to eventually happen for other pathogens.
This also seems to overlook that we don't really know so
much about protein structure and function. If we really
understood how proteins work at the fundamental level, we
could design better drugs.

I think it would be better to add to this list other diseases
such as SARS, HIV. I don't really see why these do not count
as "evolution". Is disease all that different, or is it just
that it moves on a much faster time scale than our life times
so people treat it as ignorable?

by Grace alone we proceed,
Wayne