Re: Snoke's reply

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Tue Aug 16 2005 - 21:11:55 EDT

> Obviously the theory of gravity is not a predictive theory. It can't
> tell us that objects will exist, much less predict any details such as
> the existence of the solar system. If more than two objects are under
> consideration, the answer becomes too complex to calculate.

This isn't really correct. It's true that gravitational theory in itself
doesn't tell us why matter exists. But given that it does under certain
conditions, we can use
it, together with other physical theories, to try to explain how
interstellar material condenses into stars & planetary systems. (I.e., the
old "nebular hypotheis" & much more sophisticated refinements). & while the
3 body problem can't be solved in closed form (except for very special
cases), the equations can be solved approximately to give good predictions
for quite long times into the future.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/