Re: Who's opinion should be considered: (was:Re: Snoke's response)

From: Glenn Morton <glenn_morton@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Aug 14 2005 - 17:45:24 EDT

To George and Michael,

When I did my year sentence in philosophy grad school, the biggest lesson I came away with was the utter necessity of crucial experiments. Philosopher after philosopher would set up his internally self-consistent system of thought, each of which was totally inconsistent with the other guy. No one could tell which, if any, of the systems of thought was correct. I became rather frustrated because I began to realize that truth was really not to be found in philosophy.

In many ways, theology has the same problem--the lack of a means to determine which view is correct. That being said, I absolutely would agree with George that if one is to do serious theology, one absolutely must read the ancient theologians and the modern and they must then know the issues. Like most areas one deals with in life, the majority of people are utterly ignorant of theology (that would include me as well). A friend, who I have known for 25 years, who is also a former YEC who struggled with the geologic data, had an appropo saying about the geological ignorance of our fellow YECs in those days. He said, "Not only can most people not argue the issues, most people don't even know what the issues are!"

glenn
http://home.entouch.net/dmd/dmd/htm