Re: Snoke's paper

From: janice matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat Aug 13 2005 - 16:48:55 EDT

#2# I provided links to both Dawkins and Sagan in my previous posts. But
here they are again:

Dawkins http://www.arn.org/docs/williams/pw_dawkinsfallacies.htm

Sagan http://www.str.org/free/commentaries/science/saganand.htm

#2# If they want to recover their reputations and be respected by the
public as serious scientists, I suggest that they distance themselves from
all the people who are promoted by web sites like infidels.org,
AmericanHumanist.org and stop allowing people like Richard Dawkins,
et.al., to be "the faces" of science.

For instance, here are a couple of people that supposedly serious
"scientists" are using as PR instruments and as speakers at many of their
conventions, meetings, etc.:

Discovery Institute's "Wedge Project". Circulates Online by James Still
<http://www.infidels.org/secular_web/feature/1999/wedge.html>@ Infidels.org

The so-called "scientific" qualifications of James Still:

James Still B.A., Philosophy, University of Minnesota - "...helped to build
and maintain the Secular Web. ... President of the Internet Infidels from
2000 until 2002. ..Compulsively and deterministically dwells on
philosophical problems and issues, ..epistemology, religion......an avid
yoga practitioner ... reads widely in Eastern mysticism"
<http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/james_still/still-bio.html>, etc.,
etc., <http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/james_still/still-bio.html>@
Infidels.org

"The Wedge at Work": How Intelligent Design Creationism Is Wedging Its Way
into the Cultural and Academic Mainstream by Barbara Forrest, Ph.D.
<http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/barbara_forrest/wedge.html>@
Infidels.org

The so-called "scientific" qualifications of Barbara Forrest:

Barbara Carroll Forrest - B.A., English, Southeastern Louisiana University,
1974 - M.A., Philosophy, Louisiana State University, 1978 - Ph.D.,
Philosophy, Tulane University, 1988

Teaching positions:

Professor of Philosophy, Southeastern Louisiana University, 2002 - Present
Associate Professor of Philosophy, Southeastern Louisiana University,
1994-2002
Assistant Professor of Philosophy, Southeastern Louisiana University,
1989-1994
Full-time Instructor of Philosophy, Southeastern Louisiana University,
1988-1989
Part-time Instructor in Philosophy, Southeastern Louisiana University,
1981-1988

Among her awards: "Friend of Darwin" Award, National Center for Science
Education, March 1998

Conference Presentations [excerpts]:

"A Critical Philosophical Analysis of the Moral Distinction Between Active
and Passive Euthanasia," Mid-South Sociological Association, Jackson, MS,
November, 1978.

"Methodological Naturalism and Philosophical Naturalism: Clarifying the
Connection," and "The Possibility of Meaning in Human Evolution," Science
and Society Conference. Russian Academy of Sciences; Institute of the
History of Natural Sciences and Technology; Faculty of Philosophy, St.
Petersburg State University. St Petersburg, Russia, June 19-25, 1999.

"Methodological Naturalism and Philosophical Naturalism: Clarifying the
Connection," at Science and God: A Naturalistic Examination of Cosmology,
the Anthropic Principle, and Design Theories. Society of Humanist
Philosophers, Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina, September 25-26, 1999.

Lectures/Presentations [excerpts]:

"Creation and Evolution: A Philosophical View of the Concept of Balanced
Treatment." Public forum: "Evolution and Creationism in Louisiana Public
Schools," SLU, March 31, 1981.

"The Influence of Darwin on 19th- and 20th-Century Culture," Dept. of
Biological Sciences, Southeastern Louisiana University, April 21, 1995. ...

Journal Articles [excerpt]: "An Analysis of the Causal Interpretation of
Karl Marx's Theory of History," Lamar Journal of the Humanities, Spring 1989.

...Methodological Naturalism and Philosophical Naturalism: Clarifying the
Connection," Philo, Fall-Winter 2000.

"The Possibility of Meaning in Human Evolution," Zygon, December 2000.

<http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/barbara_forrest/bio.html>Etc.,
etc., <http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/barbara_forrest/bio.html>@
Infidels.org

The "Wedge Document": "So What?": Staff Discovery Institute March 1, 2004
<http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/filesDB-download.php?id=349>Click
here to read the Discovery Institute response to charges regarding the
"wedge document."
http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/index.php?command=view&id=2101

~ Janice