Re: Snoke's response

From: Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>
Date: Sat Aug 13 2005 - 13:25:54 EDT

I appreciate your questioning of the dividing line between natural and
non-natural. Again, there are signal flags. First the easy part - that
dividing line simply keeps moving from time to time as we find a
"natural" explanation for something previously attributed to the
non-natural. That makes the distinction a little suspect, particularly
as it is us deciding where to draw that line, and the line itself is of
our own creation (perhaps).

The harder part seems to be thinking about the possibility that natural
and non-natural are distinguishable, not because they are in reality
completely independent realms, but that they might only appear as
unrelatedly different from our (limited) perspective, a consequence of
inadequate "detectors" or understanding. There are hints of connectness
that we do not have ready and reliable access to, ESP-like things
(perhaps) and quantum entanglement. And, there are things like
non-location that remain puzzles to us. When we deal with the particle
and wave natures of photons, we don't put a natural/non-natural dividing
line between the two understandings, despite the fact that we don't have
a good integrated understanding of the simultaneous possession of both
"natures". I wonder if it is counter productive to think so readily in
terms of natural and non-natural, rather than conceptualizing a more
integrated reality that appears otherwise solely because of our own
(gasp) limitations. I don't fully understand what the consequences of
removing that conceptual dividing line might be, but I am suspicious of it.

It doesn't help that we also have a strong inclination to describe
anything that we as humans make happen as something other than natural
as well.

JimA