Re: "Body's defense mechanism worsens asthma symptoms" - a challenge for ID?

From: Terry M. Gray <grayt@lamar.colostate.edu>
Date: Thu Aug 11 2005 - 16:59:16 EDT

Jack,

Who says that detectable design is perfect design or even optimal
design? The claims of our ID friends are somewhat modest compared to
the implication of your question. Straw men don't help us in this
discussion.

Also, don't all theists believe in design (properly defined) as a
theological concept. You know, "I believe in design because I believe
in God, not I believe in God because I believe in design." The
question you pose shouldn't be unique to ID but applies to all
theists. In fact, it sort of reminds me of a skeptics' challenge (to
ID and TE alike) that such evidences from nature suggest that God is
not involved in this process at all. Others have already given
reasonable proposals as to why this shouldn't deter our beliefs here.
In general, these sorts of things are part of the general theodicy.
Your answer to that will answer this issue whether it's an appeal to
"authentic freedom" or God's sovereign and sometimes inscrutable will.

TG

On Aug 11, 2005, at 9:29 AM, Jack Haas wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> The article below (assuming the science holds up) offers a current
> challenge for ID proponents. What say you?
> Jack
>

> *Study reveals body's defense mechanism worsens asthma symptoms*
> <http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-08/mu-srb081105.php>*
> *MUHC scientists have discovered that our body's own defense
> mechanism causes some of the most serious asthma symptoms. The
> study by MUHC researchers, published in a recent issue of /Journal
> of Clinical Investigation/ (JCI), reveals that T lymphocytes--our
> body's defense cells--are responsible for the airway thickening,
> which increases the chances of a dangerous asthma attack. The
> discovery provides hope that new treatments might be developed to
> combat the disease, which currently has no cure. /EurekAlert
>
> From the ASA Web Site: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/
> 2005-08/mu-srb081105.php
> /

Terry M. Gray, Ph.D.