Re: "Body's defense mechanism worsens asthma symptoms" - a challenge for ID?

From: John Hewlett <john.hewlett@usa.com>
Date: Thu Aug 11 2005 - 15:22:51 EDT

Heres a bit on what you typed. And since I am in the theistic evolution camp this stuff really doesn't bother me too much but I could see how at first look this might seem a bit of a problem for ID. Interestingly enough and I am sure Jack Syme can answer this possibly better than me, but since I am interested in neuroscience I can give you a bit of what I know. The immune system is really cool, it has alot of macrophages and lymphocytes and leukocytes, that patrol the blood stream and engulf inavders, cancer cells what ever. Some even secrete hypochlorous acid too. And inflamtory response isn't always a bad thing either, because the raising of the temperature is lethal to some invaders. However if this local reaction goes systemic as would be the case of severe sepsis, or septic shock, as a result of the cytokines that are released this is bad. However the "normal" human body doesn't allow this to happen because on these immune cells exists cholinergic receptors, and when th!
e these cholinergic receptors are activated by their neurotransmitter ligand they do not release the cytokines. And this comes under the control of the vegas nerve. So basically the point is in a properly functioning human body this stuff shouldn't take place. And of course I see alot of this (illness) because I am hoping to go into medical research, but the reminder is always there, and I have learned this, if it is physical it has the potential to break down - entropy - it just works like and pretty much everything in nature behaves to some degree as if that were the case. So the human body is a wonderfully fascinating thing and I just absolutley love the science behind the medicine. But You know one needs to remind ones self when one brings God into it and remember just like most everything else we see in nature (minus atoms and subatomic particles) the human body is capable of breaking because after it is physical. So to answer your question even those I am in no an ID a!
dvocate I would have to say that this doesn't nessacarly present a cha

Thanks,
John