Re: Dr. Dobson

From: <drsyme@cablespeed.com>
Date: Thu Aug 11 2005 - 14:36:53 EDT

I am curious about what the Roe V. Wade decision actually
says about this.

As far as I can tell, the decision is based on the ninth
and fourteenth amendments, and is based on a persons right
to privacy.

But what about the rights of the unborn, when do they
begin to have rights? The Roe V Wade decision goes on to
say that States can regulate and limit abortions to some
extent, in the second and third trimesters, based on the
State's interest in protecting life, so the unborn must
have some rights according to this decision.

Why second trimester, what about that makes it the point
that a fetus might have human rights? I dont know the
answer to this, but, in the majority decision, Blackmun
mentions English Common Law's concept of quickening being
evidence of when the soul enters the body. This commonly
occurs right at the start of the second trimester.