Re: "Body's defense mechanism worsens asthma symptoms" - a challenge for ID?

From: Ted Davis <tdavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Thu Aug 11 2005 - 13:20:38 EDT

Jack writes:

The article below (assuming the science holds up) offers a current
challenge for ID proponents. What say you?
Jack

*Study reveals body's defense mechanism worsens asthma symptoms*
<http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-08/mu-srb081105.php>* *MUHC
scientists have discovered that our body's own defense mechanism causes
some of the most serious asthma symptoms. The study by MUHC researchers,
published in a recent issue of /Journal of Clinical Investigation/
(JCI), reveals that T lymphocytes--our body's defense cells--are
responsible for the airway thickening, which increases the chances of a
dangerous asthma attack. The discovery provides hope that new treatments
might be developed to combat the disease, which currently has no cure.
/EurekAlert

Ted replies:
In his subtle treatise on the doctrine of creation, Robert Boyle noted that
the design of the human body had to be set up to help the body in the
majority of situations, and that in some situations this would be
detrimental to the body: the same mechanism would harm a person in those
situations. This is an example of a common line of thinking in the
scientific revolution: the subordination of special providence to general
providence. As such, it's part of Boyle's approach to theodicy.

I assume that design proponents today would make a similar argument?

Ted