Re: Christian models of creation

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Thu Aug 11 2005 - 07:22:02 EDT

What is a model and what is a paradigm?
Yes YECs have spent much time on their "models" which Kelly et al
pretentiously call Paradigms. It is difficult to engage with them as they
are such nonsense and better called paradumbs.

Of course they make use of Kuhn whose own work is rather flawed - see what
he says about Lyell, as if he was the most important geologist of all, and
Darwin. What we see in these changes is not a sudden change but a gradual
one in which many if not most of the features of the previous "paradigm" are
retained

So-called YEC paradigms have no relationship to previous ones and it is
difficult if not impossible to see any scientific content in a YE paradigm
of geology with all deposition squeezed into a few years.

Against that there is a strong case, and I would argue for it with vigour
and virtually did so for some Harvard students yesterday that the present
geological paradigm is a continuation from ideas of the late 17th century
when it was assumed that all rocks were laid down in the Flood.

We need to see that the alternative models and paradigms of ID and YEC have
no intrinsic merit or worth but are so-called paradigms which are parasitic
on modern science.

Michael

PS I was slow in replying as I have just been involved with a Harvard group
looking at Darwin's geology in Wales