Re: TEXTBOOKS: suggestions for homeschooling?

From: <cmsharp01@aol.com>
Date: Wed Aug 10 2005 - 16:43:22 EDT

Many thanks for your quick reply, and for letting me know of your
academic
background. In case you didn't know, I have a Ph.D. in theoretical
astrophysics, and teach astronomy at a local community college as well
as
undertaking research in astrophysics, and writing computer code. I am
currently working on a paper for Astrophysical Journal.

I agree that any book written for homeschoolers would have to have a
wider
appeal, even if it is initially pitched to homeschoolers. Such a book
must
make it clear from the beginning what science is and what science is
not,
and how it operates within the confines of methodoligical naturalism,
as well
as what Occam's Razor is. Not being a geologist, and knowing even less
about evolutionary biology, it is difficult to judge, but I get the
impression
that astronomy is the weakest subject for YECs, because they have
considerable difficulties explaining phenomena in a 6000 year old
universe,
the most obvious being the light travel time from distant stars.

Anyway, like you I cannot give up my job to write a text book from
scratch.
I don't know if there is some way in contacting publishers and making
suggestions and contributions.

Christopher