Re: TEXTBOOKS: suggestions for homeschooling?

From: <CMSharp01@aol.com>
Date: Wed Aug 10 2005 - 14:47:32 EDT

Hi Douglas,

Although I do not know much about the homeschooling market, from what
I have heard, there is a strong emphasis on YECism, which is very
unfortunate.
My background is in astronomy, and I know many if not most of the YEC
claims related to astronomy, as well as the counter claims. The evidence
that
the Earth, the Sun and the Solar System as a whole, is about 4.5 billion
years
old, and the universe is about 13.7 billion years old, rather than about 6000
years old, is so overwhelming from many lines of multiple and independent
evidence, that there is no argument. Last week in arguing with a YEC about
astronomy and the Big Bang, I told him that he wanted to reduce astronomy to
stamp collecting, not that I have anything against stamp collecting. Anyway,
you can look at _http://csharp.com/creationism.html_
(http://csharp.com/creationism.html) for some information.
Check out in particular the link to a letter to D. James Kennedy, who has
apparently bought into YECism. Ken Ham features in several places on the
Coral Ridge Ministries web site.

How big is the homeschooling market in science in general, and astronomy in
particular, and is it worth getting into it? From both a Christian and
professional
perspective, it might be something I would be interested in, if I can find
suitable
contacts. I am also interested in associated software, as I am able to write
scientific code in FORTRAN and C/C++, as well as web scripting and
interfaces.

Regards,

Christopher