Re: String Theory

From: Don Nield <d.nield@auckland.ac.nz>
Date: Tue Aug 09 2005 - 20:48:41 EDT

Ted Davis wrote:

>It is my *impression*, which I'd have to have someone more knowledgeable
>correct for me, that John Polkinghorne's work in physics was partly on
>string theory. Does anyone know?
>
>ted

I have checked the Web of Science database. None of Polkinghorne's
research papers has "string" in its title. I think that he retired from
physics research before string theory became really popular.
Incidentally Peter Goddard, who was a doctoral student of Polkinghorne's
(and who until recently was Master of St John's College Cambridge)
achieved fame as a string theorist, but he seems to have become
interested in that subject shortly after getting his PhD.
Don