Re: Stereotypes and reputations

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Aug 09 2005 - 03:02:21 EDT

On 8/9/05, janice matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net> wrote:
> At 11:38 AM 8/8/2005, Iain Strachan wrote:
>
> Tipler equates the "Omega point" at the end of the universe with God
> and uses the literal translation of Exodus 3:14 "I will be what I will
> be" as support for this - a future transcendence.
>
> Iain.
> ### And what are his credentials for presuming to "equate" Scripture in
> such an unorthodox way? I have a feeling his ideas would appeal more to
> Aristotle than to either Copernicus or Galileo. :)

Well ... if you're an atheist who wants to form a theory of God that
fits into physics, I guess you have to be unorthodox :-)

Check out his own explanation at http://www.math.tulane.edu/~tipler/summary.html

He cites a physicist who likes his physics but not his theology, and a
theologian who likes his theology but not his physics! Can't please
everyone I guess!

I'm not saying I agree with him BTW.

Iain

--
Those who can count and those who can't.