Re: Stereotypes and reputations

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Aug 08 2005 - 11:38:16 EDT

I don't know much more than I said. Tipler is a fellow of Dembski's
ISCID. ISCID is supposedly "anti-evolution", though Dembski said in
an email to me (which he said he didn't mind repeating in public) that
a belief in "Intelligently designed evolution" was compatible with ID,
ie everything happens via evolution with no miraculous interventions,
but that the whole system was intelligently designed so that the
outcome (ie us) was inevitable. I guess if you don't want a creator,
you might call that "anti-evolution" or certainly
anti-evolution-without-a-god-to-ensure-it-works.

> As opposed to explaining everything away via a God?

Tipler equates the "Omega point" at the end of the universe with God
and uses the literal translation of Exodus 3:14 "I will be what I will
be" as support for this - a future transcendence.

Iain.