Re: Stereotypes and reputations

From: Pim van Meurs <pimvanmeurs@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Aug 08 2005 - 11:24:55 EDT

Iain Strachan wrote:

>Glenn:
>

>>The point you raise is interesting. The problem I have
>>with all the claims made by apologists that the
>>evidence supports antievolutionism, yecism and other
>>such stuff, is that only the religious are advocates
>>of anti-evolutionaryism. If the evidence were
>>against evolution, an atheist could say, I don't know
>>how it happened but it didn't arise by evolution nor
>>did it arise via god. Surely someone would take this
>>agnostic position against life evolving if the
>>evidence for evolution were as bad as we are told.
>>
>>At the ASA meeting 2 days ago, I had a conversatiuon
>>with gerald Bergman and Wade??? (I am embarassed that
>>I forgot his last name he didn't give me a card). Wade
>>asked Bergman why, if the evidence were against
>>evolution why was there not at least 1 atheist saying
>>that. Bergman couldn't answer but he simply told me
>>when I reraised the point that he couldn't be sure
>>that there werent atheists against evolution until he
>>could interview lots of atheists. Which is quite a
>>convenient escape mechanism because no matter how many
>>one interviews, one can always say he hasn't found
>>that one atheist.
>>

>Frank Tipler is an atheist who appears not to believe in evolution (or
>at any rate is pro-ID). I think he explains everything away via his
>Omega point theory, which attempts to reduce God to a physics
>phenomenon arising out of potentially infinite information processing
>capabilities just before the Big Crunch.
>
>Cheers,
>Iain.

As opposed to explaining everything away via a God? Hmmm. I am curious
as to why Tipler would reject evolution though.

One can accept front loading and still accept evolution. What makes
Tipler pro-ID? And why is that anti-evolution? I thought ID fully
embraced evolution ? In other words, that which can be explained by
regularity and chance is accepted and that which cannot (yet) is called
intelligently designed?