Re: of course I am missing something

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Aug 08 2005 - 07:58:38 EDT

On 8/8/05, John Hewlett <john.hewlett@usa.com> wrote:
> Ok well, I am missing something of course. And that is this, back in 2004 Gabriele Veneziano
> the father of the "String theory" proposed to new theories that would indicate that the universe has existed forever and would continue too, and he used the String theory to make is case for this. Has any work been followed up on this? Furthur more, as a Christian I find my self playing devils advocate alot, lets assume its true. Ok, well, now the next question is, how can we reconcile this?

John,

Here are my thoughts on this. They are not scientific (I've not done
any more than read popular articles on String theory), but more to do
with the theology, and what it says in Genesis.

I have always had a belief in the notion that God is "outside of
time". Perhaps that's an unscientific concept, or one that is at
least hard if not possible to grasp for people like us who are
constrained by time. If this is the case (God independent of time),
then I see no problems theologically with a universe that has always
existed _in time_. The book of Genesis begins with the words "In the
beginning" (Bereshith), which is also the title of the book in the
Hebrew. It doesn't say "In the beginning of time". Perhaps the
interpolation of "of time" here is unwarranted, and not implied by the
text. If you take it to mean implicitly "in the beginning of time",
then you either get into YEC knots trying to make the timescale fit,
or if you take it to mean "God caused the big bang to happen and this
was the moment of creation", then again you might get blown away if an
infinitely existing universe turns out to be the case. But if you
take it to mean that God is the origin of everything, then I don't
think there turns out to be a problem. God is then outside the reach
of science, and properly so.

A second (much more speculative) thought occurs to me. That is that
in the Hebrew language, there is only a single past tense; there is
not a pluperfect tense as in other language. So the first sentence
could be taken as meaning "In the beginning, God _had_ (already)
created the Heavens and the Earth". Everything thereafter proceeds
from this "given". No doubt I'll get torn to shreds by any Hebrew
scholars on the list who are much more knowledgeable than I am, but it
has to be worth it airing a few dubious ideas from time to time :-)

Regards,
Iain.