Re: Stereotypes and reputations

From: janice matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat Aug 06 2005 - 17:01:01 EDT

At 04:47 PM 8/6/2005, Pim van Meurs wrote:
>>### /So you agree with the Framers of America's founding documents that
>>it is a self-evident truth that man's rights are inalienable because they
>>are God-given? ~ Janice
>I fail to see the relevance of this question. I find mixing religion and
>politics detrimental to both, just like mixing science and religion. Which
>is why I appreciate the first amendment. In history one can appreciate
>their comments but the importance of the constitution is far further
>reaching than a single quote.

## Our Constitution is a meaningless document unless it''s guarding the
self-evident (absolute ) truth that man's rights come from his Creator and
not from the governments instituted by men.

Either man's rights come from God or they come from other men.

The founders of the United States of America believed that all men were
created with equal authority. Thus they declared the following principle as
the foundation of their political union. They said:

" We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,
that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights,
that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. That to
secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their
just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any Form of
Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People
to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its
foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to
them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

The founders also believed that this concept of equal authority was taught
in the Bible. They used Sir Walter Blackstone's Commentary on Law to
explain and illustrate this Biblical concept. The following is from
Blackstone's "Commentary on Law" concerning the equality of mankind at
creation:

"If man were to live in a state of nature, unconnected with other
individuals, there would be no occasion for any other laws, than the law of
nature, and the law of God. Neither could any other law possibly exist; for
a law always supposes some superior who is to make it; and in a state of
nature we are all equal, without any other superior but him who is also the
author of our being."

This phrase "law of nature" was explained by Blackstone a little earlier in
his "Commentary on Law" in the following manner:

"This law of nature, being coeval with mankind and dictated by God himself,
is of course superior in obligation to any other. It is binding over all
the globe in all countries, and at all times; no human laws are of any
validity, if contrary to this: and such of them as are valid derive all
their force, and all their authority, mediately or immediately, from this
original."

Janice