Re: Stereotypes and reputations

From: Pim van Meurs <pimvanmeurs@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Aug 06 2005 - 16:56:15 EDT

janice matchett wrote:

> /"..First of all I am a Christian,.."
>
> ### /So you agree with the Framers of America's founding documents
> that it is a self-evident truth that man's rights are inalienable
> because they are God-given? ~ Janice

Remember that the original document states

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,
that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights,
that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Followed by

That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,
deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

and preceded by

When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people
to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another,
and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal
station to which the laws of nature and of nature's God entitle them, a
decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should
declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

In other words, entitled by the laws of nature and nature's God allows
for a creator that suits all of us, and we should not claim unique
preference to a Christian God. No matter how strong our own faith is.
That's how I read this document.

Hope this helps.