Re: Stereotypes and reputations

From: Pim van Meurs <pimvanmeurs@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Aug 06 2005 - 16:47:06 EDT

janice matchett wrote:

> /"..First of all I am a Christian,.."
>
> ### /So you agree with the Framers of America's founding documents
> that it is a self-evident truth that man's rights are inalienable
> because they are God-given? ~ Janice

I fail to see the relevance of this question. I find mixing religion and
politics detrimental to both, just like mixing science and religion.
Which is why I appreciate the first amendment. In history one can
appreciate their comments but the importance of the constitution is far
further reaching than a single quote.

[quote]
When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people
to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another,
and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal
station to which the ___Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle
them___, a ___decent respect to the opinions of mankind___ requires that
they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,
that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights,
that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
___That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men,
deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed___, That
whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is
the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new
Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its
powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their
Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments
long established should not be changed for light and transient causes;
and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more
disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves
by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long
train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object
evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their
right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide
new Guards for their future security. Such has been the patient
sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which
constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history
of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries
and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an
absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be
submitted to a candid world.
[/quote]

http://www.constitution.org/us_doi.htm

These are beautiful documents of their time.

Such as the annotated constitution of the US.
http://www.gpoaccess.gov/constitution/browse.html

Or this overview website with many interesting and useful links
http://www.constitution.org/cs_found.htm