Re: Stereotypes and reputations

From: Pim van Meurs <pimvanmeurs@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Aug 06 2005 - 15:16:59 EDT

Let me attempt to show why rationality need not be unexpected when
realizing that we are dealing with chance and necessity when discussing
evolution.
In case of evolution the governing concept is natural selection. The
question thus becomes, is rationality adaptive?

To which I would respond: Yes of course.

Some interesting work on rationality and evolution involves the work
done on bees, who seem to base their decisions on short term events.
Those more apt at formulating a decision based on the environmental
inputs, will likely be more succesful.

The interesting part is tht bees do not seem to posess a long term
memory. So perhaps long term memory is an evolutionary adaptation as
well? Under what circumstance may such an evolutionary path make sense?