Re: Stereotypes and reputations

From: Pim van Meurs <pimvanmeurs@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Aug 06 2005 - 01:01:57 EDT

One may point out that the concept of necessary explanation is somewhat
philosophical and seems to depend on the following

[quote]

It is commonly accepted that there are two sorts of existent entities:
those that exist but could have failed to exist, and those that could
not have failed to exist. Entities of the first sort are /contingent
beings/; entities of the second sort are /necessary beings/.^[1
<http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/god-necessary-being/notes.html#1>] We
will be concerned with the latter sort of entity in this article.

There are various entities which, if they exist, would be candidates for
necessary beings: God, propositions, relations, properties, states of
affairs, possible worlds, and numbers, among others. Note that the first
entity in this list is a /concrete entity/, while the rest are /abstract
entities/.^[2
<http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/god-necessary-being/notes.html#2>]
Many interesting philosophical questions arise when one inquires about
necessary beings: What makes it the case that they exist necessarily? Is
there a grounding for their necessary existence? Do some of them depend
on others? If so, how might one understand the dependence relation?
[/quote]

If they exists would be candidates for necessary beings. THat begs the
question of course of do they exist. If that one can be answered
affirmative, then they are argued to have been necessary, not contigent.

Or in other words

[quote]
Some suggest that to call God's existence "metaphysically necessary"
means that God, by definition, is an uncaused, indestructible, and
eternal being. So if God exists, then he has no cause; there's nothing
outside of himself that his existence depends on. And if God doesn't
exist, then nothing could bring him into existence (since anything that
was brought into existence would not be God). So God's existence
couldn't be a contingent matter.
[/quote]
http://www.jcu.edu/philosophy/gensler/RE/r-b6--03.htm#1

What am I missing here?

The following argues?

   1. Contingent beings are caused.
   2. Not every being can be contingent.
   3. There must exist a being which is necessary to cause contingent
      beings.
   4. This necessary being is God.

Is this closer? I see some problems with this argument however. Could
the necessary being not just be the universe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontological_argument#Plantinga.27s_modal_form_and_contemporary_discussion

An interesting position

   1. The creation of the world is the most marvelous achievement
      imaginable.
   2. The merit of an achievement is the product of (a) its intrinsic
      quality, and (b) the ability of its creator.
   3. The greater the disability (or handicap) of the creator, the more
      impressive the achievement.
   4. The most formidable handicap for a creator would be non-existence.
   5. Therefore if we suppose that the universe is the product of an
      existent creator we can conceive a greater being namely, one who
      created everything while not existing.
   6. Therefore God does not exist.

        ("Gasking's Proof", /Analysis/ 60:4 (2000), pp 36870.)

Seems mostly philosophers disagreeing