Re: High School Bible class attacked

From: Carol or John Burgeson <burgytwo@juno.com>
Date: Wed Aug 03 2005 - 11:36:14 EDT

Don wrote, in part:

"While I personally don't see the necessity for biblical study in public
schools, seeing as it can be obtained in church or private schools, I
also
don't see the alarmist reaction as being helpful. The course is not
"forced" on anyone even by the anti-YEC admissions. It is an elective."

Of course it is an elective; that is hardly pertinent. By being offered,
it has the tacit endorsement of the government (school system).

Suppose I wished to teach in public school a course in Greek mythology --
only I teach it as sober fact. Or perhaps the "history of America" as
understood by Mormonism. Or maybe astrology -- after all, lots of people
believe in it. Maybe I'd like to teach a course which insists that
nonwhite people are inherently inferior. I can think of other examples,
but I think the point is made.

"If a majority of parents want this course to be available to their
children so
be it. It high time for the rest of the population to stay out of other
peoples homes."

See argument above. It is high time for some people to stop using the
government to promote their particular views. That's what church-state
separation is all about.

 "Even better, use the same amount of effort to get course electives into
school that would teach proper science from a Christian perspective.
Then
perhaps everyone will win."

Still not a good solution. Teaching proper science is commendable;
teaching it from a "Christian perspective" is not -- unless you include
"from a Muslim perspective, from a Jewish perspective, from a humanist
perspective, etc. etc.

Burgy