RE: High School Bible class attacked

From: Donald Perrett (E-mail) <donperrett@theology-perspectives.net>
Date: Wed Aug 03 2005 - 03:24:13 EDT

While I personally don't see the necessity for biblical study in public
schools, seeing as it can be obtained in church or private schools, I also
don't see the alarmist reaction as being helpful. The course is not
"forced" on anyone even by the anti-YEC admissions. It is an elective. If
a majority of parents want this course to be available to their children so
be it. It high time for the rest of the population to stay out of other
peoples homes. School districts are supposed to be able to customize their
curriculum to the needs of their local population, while abiding by national
standards. If we got to a point where those in New England can dictate
curriculum in the Southwest then the question becomes can the YECs dictate
what should be taught in New England? If a local district wants to put more
emphasis on math does anyone object? No. It's only objection to a view
which others do not hold that becomes controversial. So basically one must
first admit that they are flawed logically and cannot withstand someone
else's views. Being closed minded is what got the YECs to where they are.
Why should we join them in being closed minded? Let them have their field
day believing that they have gained a victory. So long as it is an
elective, "I" can decide whether my child will attend it or not. "I'm" not
being forced.

Even better, use the same amount of effort to get course electives into
school that would teach proper science from a Christian perspective. Then
perhaps everyone will win.

Don P