Re: Extinction (was Re: Stereotypes and reputations)

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Mon Aug 01 2005 - 12:44:39 EDT

Rich et al. -

The theology of the Leviticus passage (& of course similar ones throughout scripture) are fine - as far as it goes. It's common sense religion: The rules are there for a reason: Obey the rules & succeed or disobey & you'll fail. & the prophets saw the destruction of Judah as a consequence of failure to live by God's law.

But what happens if we fail to live in accord with God's demands? Is that just the end? The much more radical message of the prophets is that yes, destruction will come AND that God will be faithful is spite of our failure, in spite of the destruction of even the things that God has given to make life as God's people possible. As Kierkegaard pointed out (& as Bill H just noted), that prophetic trust is what made Abraham a "knight of faith" - that he trusted that God would be faithful to his promise even though the child in whom the promise was embodied was killed. This is something much more radical than common sense religion.

& it's essential because we always do fail in a fundamental way to observe the law. The very fact that we try to observe it to ensure our survival & security means that we aren't observing it simply because it's God's law & we love God with all our heart & soul & strength & mind. Ultimately our only confidence is in God's faithfulness in spite of our failure.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/