Re: Extinction (was Re: Stereotypes and reputations)

From: <RFaussette@aol.com>
Date: Mon Aug 01 2005 - 08:44:53 EDT

The possibility that God would in fact allow extinction is an important step
on the way to realizing that God could even use extinction in bringing forth
new forms of life, as in natural selection. & that in turn is a step on the
way toward realizing that the God who is active in the evolutionary process is
the God whose character is made known in the cross & resurrection of Christ.
Consider:

You shall not make yourselves unclean in any of these ways, for in these ways
the heathen, whom I am driving out before you, made themselves unclean. This
is how the land became unclean, and I punished it for its iniquity so that it
spewed out its inhabitants. You, unlike them, shall keep my laws and my rules:
none of you, whether natives or aliens settled among you, shall do any of
these abominable things. The people who were there before you did these
abominable things and the land became unclean. So the land will not spew you out for
making it unclean as it spewed them out; for anyone who does any of these
abominable things shall be cut off from his people. Observe my charge therefore, and
follow none of the abominable institutions customary before your time; do not
make yourselves unclean with them. I am the Lord your God. 3
Leviticus 18: 24-30

If you interpret "spewing out of the land" as extinction, then in this
passage God is doing two things. Acknowledging that extinction of human families
occurs and that God can show human families how to avoid extinction.
Just an observation. Not
rich faussette