RE: The Washington Post "Dissing Darwian"

From: Alexanian, Moorad <alexanian@uncw.edu>
Date: Fri Jun 03 2005 - 13:37:08 EDT

The positive effect of the books by Phil Johnson was to expose the philosophical assumptions being made by the Neo-Darwinists that went beyond the minimalist approach that leads to unadulterated science. Of course, there is an effort in the Intelligence Design movement that may go beyond that.

If one uses probability theory as logic, then Bayes' theorem can be used to make probabilistic inferences from the physical data, viz.

P (H|DX) =P(H|X) P(D|HX) /P(D|X),

where P(A|E) stands for probability that A is true conditional on the evidence E and

X= prior information,

H = some hypothesis to be tested,

D= the (physical) data.

Suppose the physical evidence D considered by different people is the same, then the real question is, what prior information X do different people consider? In the study of the physical universe, must the prior information X be purely physical? Of course, if one is doing logic the consciousness and rationality of the scientist comes into play. That clearly appears in how the data D is collected and what sort of hypothesis H one can make. However, how does human rationality and consciousness show up, if at all, in the very hypothesis H that one establishes?

Moorad