Re: Nature article on ID

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Sat Apr 30 2005 - 17:37:12 EDT

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 18:45:10 +0100 Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
writes:
> Michael asked for comments.
>
> I think the key phrase in the article is that the ID notion is that
> God guided the process of evolution. And the problem with that
> statement is how to interpret it. It seems to me that there is less
> gap betwen TE and ID that one might suppose, though I take Michael's
> point that they are a bit coy about the age of the earth, thus
> potentially allowing creationists into the camp (ID is creationism
> in
> a cheap tuxedo).
>
> However, my own reading of Behe's book (which introduced me to
> Intelligent Design) and was the first thing that made me stop and
> think about my previous unquestioning acceptance of evolution, was
> that Behe is quite up front about the process of descent from a
> common
> ancestor, and the geological time-scale. I've seen forum postings
> where it's argued that Behe is a Theistic Evolutionist.
>
> The key point is how God is supposed to have shaped the process of
> evolution. If one argues for little miracles from time to time to
> help things over the difficult bits, then I think this is dangerous
> faith, and smacks of "God of the Gaps". As the article says, we
> can't
> see now how the bacterial flagellum came about, but maybe we will in
> the future with more and more sequencing of genomes, and that
> becomes
> another gap that disappears that was formerly occupied by God.
>
> But if God shaped evolution by designing the universe and its laws
> so
> that the inevitable outcome was the appearance of humans "made in
> his
> own image", then I don't have a problem with that, and I sense many
> people on this list won't have such a problem. Pivotal for me was
> the
> discussion thread that I started on the Sierpinski gasket. I was
> objecting to this "proof of evolution" because there was a
> pre-defined
> outcome that would inevitably arise during the randomizing process.
> at least one poster (Jim Armstrong I think) said they thought
> this is what evolution was like. There was intent and purpose (I
> guess you could say that is "design"), behind it.
>
> I think the objections to evolution raised by the ID community are
> still valid problems, (Irreducible Complexity, etc). However, I'm
> aware, having done work in genetic algorithms (and more generally in
> optimization and non-linear equation solving), that it is possible
> design the algorithm in a way to circumvent the "cliffs" that are
> presented by IC. In an earlier post, I mentioned the example of a
> "Gray code", where a binary string is translated to integers in a
> way
> that all successive integers always differ by 1 bit, as opposed to
> the
> "Hamming cliff" of binary representation (e.g. 01111 -> 10000 for
> [...]
It appears to me that all you attibute to ID is implicit in TE. Given an
omniscient and omnipotent Creator, it folows that the universe will
manifest an intelligent pattern. This does not require that there be
beings capable of recognizing the pattern, but, in fact, we are here.
Perhaps angelic beings were earlier competent. There is also no
requirement that the creation come into being instantaneously, as
Augustine held, partly from the apocryphal scriptures and partly from the
theory that an effect is commensurate with its cause, and the First Cause
is infinite. We find that we are about 13 Gy from the Big Bang. As
theists, we hold that every ys of these 400 Ps (I'd go finer, but yocto
is as fine as the prefixes currently go) is under God's direct control
and care. Because with our crude tests we do not detect God working, we
say things happened by natural forces acting randomly. But Providence is
equally valid as an explanation. On a simple level, I appreciate the
efforts of farmer, miller, baker, and others, but thank God for my daily
bread.

From a different angle, a programmer has to put every move into the
coding before running it, or go back and recode. This even applies to
self-modifying code. Programming thus requires "transcendence." God as
programmer is deistic. But, while transcendent, God is not just a
programmer, for he is also imminent. ID forgets his constant involvement.
Dave