Re: New Pope on Darwinism - NO!

From: Robert Schneider <rjschn39@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri Apr 29 2005 - 20:58:22 EDT

Randy, I know little about Teilhard de Chardin's ideas as I have read little
of his work. After reading a few passages in his _Hymn to the Universe_, it
was clear that he was the rare combination of a scientist-theologian-mystic.
The rarest part is the mystic, and it is that which invests his writings
with a profound sense of his being at one with the universe, a sense common
especially among mystics of the catholic tradition (I think of Hildegard of
Bingen in the 12th century). If you go to
http://www.crosscurrents.org/chardin.htm, you'll find a complete chapter of
Charles P. Henderson's book, _God and Science_ (1986; now hypertext edn.)
devoted to Teilhard. (The book was given a thumbs up by Richard Bube when it
first came out.) It's an informative read. Here are a few quotations from
his writings in this chapter that perhaps capture the mystical train of
Teilhard's vision of the universe.

From: _The Divine Milieu_
"All around us, to right and left, in front and behind, above and below, we
have only to go a little beyond the frontier of sensible appearances in
order to see the divine welling up and showing through. But it is not only
close to us, in front of us, that the divine presence has revealed itself.
It has sprung up universally, and we find ourselves so surrounded and
transfixed by it, that there is no room left to fall down and adore it, even
within ourselves.
"By means of all created things, without exception, the divine assails us,
penetrates us and moulds us. We imagined it as distant and inaccessible,
whereas in fact we live steeped in its burning layers. In eo vivimus [in him
we live]. As Jacob said, awakening from his dream, the world, this palpable
world, which we were wont to treat with the boredom and disrespect with
which we habitually regard places with no sacred association for us, is in
truth a holy place, and we did not know it. Venite, adoremus [Come, let us
adore him]."

And this one from _Christianity and Evolution_, in which Teilhard connects
Christ with evolution:

"If we Christians wish to retain in Christ the very qualities on which his
power and our worship are based, we have no better way - no other way,
even - of doing so than fully to accept the most modern concepts of
evolution. . . . Surely the solution for which modern mankind is seeking
must essentially be exactly the solution which I have come upon."

I have the impression that while Teilhard's writing went through a period of
disfavor, not only with the Catholic Church but with scientists (and Stephen
Jay Gould wrote some uncomplimentary things about him), his ideas are
beginning to have an influence again, particularly among Roman Catholic
thinkers. The person who most readily comes to mind is John F. Haught. His
books on God and evolution speak favorably about Teilhard's writing. Ursula
King has also written a spiritual biography of him.

I'd recommend that someone who knows more than I do write a piece for PSCF.

Bob Schneider