Re: Non-truths that do not transform

From: gordon brown <gbrown@euclid.colorado.edu>
Date: Fri Apr 29 2005 - 17:44:14 EDT

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Vernon Jenkins wrote:

> So I suggest that you (and others) who reject the biblical account of
> creation and of earth history (having, in effect, already judged God, and
> found him wanting) are being tested by these 'wonders in the heavens'. Such
> 'theatricals' are clearly within the scope of a being who delights to
> deceive - and, for reasons which are completely beyond our understanding, is
> being _allowed_ to deceive. As Christians, it is wise that we always
> remember that His thoughts and ways are completely beyond our own. He has an
> _agenda_; whether we like it or not, its fulfilment inevitably involves us!
>
> Vernon

Vernon,

I find it to be very unfortunate that you accuse everyone who disagrees
with your interpretation of some passages of Scripture of rejecting the
authority of the Bible.

You have accepted the Seventh Day Adventist version of the Flood and
defend it even where it conflicts with the Biblical account. On this list
you have denied that the Bible really meant it when it told us where the
Garden of Eden was located by listing the rivers that were the sources of
its water. You have told us that either God or Satan fixed the creation so
that it bears false witness to God's creative activity. Can you imagine
how the great defenders of the Scriptures during the first 18 centuries of
Christianity would have reacted to such assertions?

I think that one of the most important aspects of defending the Scriptures
is defending it against the charge that its teachings are nonsense. For
Christians to embrace nonsense is counterproductive to this defense.

Gordon Brown
Department of Mathematics
University of Colorado
Boulder, CO 80309-0395