Re: definition of science

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Thu Apr 28 2005 - 16:44:39 EDT

The contingency of the universe is an aspect of the problem which I did
not have in view. Since Einstein claimed to accept Spinoza's god (deus
sive natura), he presumably would have believed that it could be only one
way. In Spinoza's monism, there were an infinite number of interconnected
aspects of the one, though we are aware only of matter and mind. The
connection is so tight that one aspect cannot change without concurrent
changes in the others.

Apart from Christian theism, which holds that God is free, the notion of
a multiverse holds that there is no single set of necessary
laws/constants--just that ours has to be pretty much the way it is for us
to be here to think about it, or to wonder about others. I suspect
Einstein would be as upset about this view as about quantum physics.

Anyway, thanks for the added insight.
Dave

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:39:15 -0400 "George Murphy" <gmurphy@raex.com>