Re: ICR's ACTS & FACTS for May, 2005

From: Robert Schneider <rjschn39@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu Apr 28 2005 - 16:08:59 EDT

A group of polemicists that wish people to think that Darwin was psychotic
would naturally do a hatchet job on one of his admirers among the many
Anglican clergyman (country parsons that studied nature closely) who
supported Darwin.

I have seen photos of Irish men in the 19th century who let their sideburns
grow long, and whose appearance might remind one of a chimpanzee. Perhaps
some cartoonists caracatured Irish as chimps, since it is true that the
English looked down upon the Irish, remember they were under British rule,
whom they perceived as ignorant and dirty. Famine can really reduce people
to something less than cultured. Perhaps many of those who survived the
famine suffered from stunted growth, that would make them shorter. (people
generally were shorter in those days anyway). That Kingsley saw so many
along hundreds of miles of road is a reflection of the homelessness of many
and those who travelled distances to find food or work.

But Grigg left us with a more reflective statement which he refused to
parse. Kingsley was "haunted" by the sight, which I take to mean that he
was deeply affected by the destitution he witnessed. While, perhaps
unthinkingly, he used a term of insult, his response is surely one of pity
and not contempt.

What I find contemptible about the two articles is the way Griggs plays
(another form of) the race card to smear another supporter of Darwin, and a
popular writer at that. And I'll bet most readers of this list have seen
YEC depictions of Darwin, or their reprints of 19th cent. cartoons, making
Darwin look like an ape.

"Judge not, and you will not be judged. Condemn not and you will not be
condemned." (Anyone need chapter and verse?)

Bob Schneider