Re: ICR's ACTS & FACTS for May, 2005

From: Steven M Smith <smsmith@usgs.gov>
Date: Thu Apr 28 2005 - 11:52:31 EDT

Burgy wrote in reply to Michael:
<<I appreciate the analysis. ICR often (not as often as AIG, IMHO) engages
in ad hominem arguments to persuade the gullible of their thesis. It
appears this is yet another in the series. "There you go again, Jerry
Bergman." <G> >>

Burgy, I have to agree with you that Answers in Genesis (AiG) very commonly
"engages in ad hominem arguments to persuade the gullible." Your comment
reminded me of a short article in the latest AiG newsletter (Answers
Update, Vol. 12, no. 4) about Charles Kingsley. When I read it, my first
reaction was that the Kingsley story had to be a typical AiG
misrepresentation of history. But realizing that my own British history
education is very poor (having only read Churchill's _History of the
English Speaking People_ once), I immediately began to wonder how our
resident ASA English and Anglican historian, M. Roberts, would respond.

Below is the short story from the latest AiG newsletter, followed by a note
and a question to Michael (and others).

---------------
Human chimps?

Did you know that a church leader once referred to some people in Ireland
as "white chimpanzees"? Here's the sad story.

In the 1840s and 1850s, Ireland suffered through the great Irish potato
famine. It killed over one million people, in a land of only 8 million.

In 1860, English clergyman Charles Kingsley visited Ireland. In a letter
to his wife he wrote, concerning the refugees he saw, "I am haunted by the
human chimpanzees I saw along that hundred miles of horrible country. ...
to see white chimpanzees is dreadful; if they were black, one would not
feel it so much, but their skins, except where tanned by exposure, are as
white as ours."

How could a church leader, a "man of God," ever refer to people as white
chimpanzees? Well, Kingsley had been influenced by Darwin's Origin of
Species, published only one year earlier. He had completely accepted
racist evolutionary thinking and no longer considered humans as created in
the image of God.

Kingsley, like many church leaders after him, traded God's Word for man's
word. Sadly, this thinking has had a devastating effect on the church and
all of Western culture.

(Excerpted from the May 17, 2005, radio broadcast of _Answers ... with Ken
Ham_)
Printed in Answers Update, Vol. 12, no. 4, p. 12
----------------

This pre-quoted radio broadcast story was apparently condensed from at
least two Creation Magazine articles about Charles Kingsley by Russell M.
Grigg M.Sc. (Hons.) Creationist Chemist and Missionary (AiG — Australia)
[bio blurb from AiG website - SMS].
Potatoes and 'white chimpanzees'
<http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v26/i4/chimps.asp>
Darwin's quisling
<http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v22/i1/quisling.asp>

Michael (and other history buffs),
What say ye? Did my baloney detector malfunction or does this smell of ad
hominem and revisionist history?

Steve
[Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are my own. No one else--including
my employer-- wants credit, blame, or responsibility for them.]
 Steven M. Smith, Geologist, U.S. Geological Survey
 Box 25046, M.S. 973, DFC, Denver, CO 80225
 Office: (303)236-1192, Fax: (303)236-3200
 Email: smsmith@usgs.gov
 -USGS Nat'l Geochem. Database NURE HSSR Web Site-
  http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/1997/ofr-97-0492/