Re: ICR's ACTS & FACTS for May, 2005

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Wed Apr 27 2005 - 16:11:50 EDT

I said I would reply to Bergman on Darwin's sadistic bent when I read the
Impact article. It is now available on the ICR website and having read it I
must award Bergman very high marks for dishonesty. It is sheer vitriol and
simply misrepresents Darwin. Bergman may have nine degrees but he would do
better to follow the ninth commandment.

He refers to Darwin beating a puppy as a child and quotes a few words form
his Autobiography thus distorting what Darwin actually said. D wrote this 60
years after the event at it clearly upset him. He was a dog-lover. When he
returned home from the Beagle he whistled for a dog and it greeted him. When
about 20 he was at a sheepdog trial near Dolgellau a friend recorded that he
stormed off because he could not stand the cruelty to sheepdogs.

Clearly Bergman doesn't understand D's style of writing, English
understatement and disparaging to himself.

I could write a long dissection of this article, but that would take time.

The more I research Darwin and that includes reading loads of notes (I
suspect he was left handed), the more I respect him as a scientist but also
respect his sheer moral goodness which puts most Christians to shame.

In IMPACT 367 Bergman wrote on "Was C Darwin psychotic?" He gave a crude
version of D's illness as psychosomatic though Ralph Colp in the forthcoming
2ed of his book To be an Invalid will change his earlier argument and argue
that Darwin's illness was physical (and will use the researches of a certain
M Roberts to support this - I have walked every recorded walk Darwin did in
Wales and Shropshire and it is clear that after the age of 30 his physique
collapsed as before 30 he could walk 12-15 miles a day for a week in the
hills as he did in Glen Roy in 1838 by 1842 he could only walk 3-4 miles
with little climbing) Berman is dependant on a 1997 JAMA article by Barloon
and Noyes which argues that he suffered from agoraphobia. As his illness hit
him in 1839 how did he go to really remote parts of Snowdonia in 1842 . No
agoraphobic could go to Cwm Idwal even today let alone in 1842 with no one
there. While doing my Darwin research I was there on a late September
evening and the remoteness and quietness was impressive)
Again Bergman wrote a dishonest article which made me puke.

It hasn't made me change my mind about ICR at all and just reinforces my
conviction that many YECs are deliberately dishonest. For which I shall get
my knuckles rapped, but Jesus did say he was the truth.

On the other side I looked at a British book "Introducing Evolution" in a
bookshop today. It was just as dishonest on how the wicked Christians
opposed geology and evolution.

Here ends my sermon and for Denise's sake I shall call myself a Christian
Darwinist in the tradition of Asa Gray and BB WArfield
Michael