Re: definition of science [a search for knowledge]

From: Edward Babinski <ebabinski2002@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 00:23:33 EDT

--- Keith Miller <kbmill@ksu.edu> wrote:
> Theology seeks to know and understand spiritual
> reality, and the
> history of the human encounter with the spiritual.
> It seeks moral
> truth grounded in the revelation of that spiritual
> encounter. As I am
> not a theologian, I am sticking my head out rather
> far here.

ED: I think theology and science differ in this
respect:

A theologian dies and goes to heaven and asks God how
he created everything, and God replies, "It was a
miracle." And the theologian is satisfied.

A scientist dies and goes to heaven and asks God how
he created everything, and God replies, "It was a
miracle." Then the scientist replies. "Yes, but what
where the exact steps involved? What mental
connections and ideas preceded which? How were things
CONNECTED, even if only in your own divine mind? I'd
really like to know what you were thinking when you
created this specific thing and that one, and what
steps led you to create this rather than that."

On your discussion of theology above, I see that you
have brought in the term "reality" too? The terms
"reality," "truth," and "knowledge" are so broad that
you can find them on every philosopher's plate, no
matter whether they be atheists, monists, dualists,
Christians, Muslims, etc. Trying to define anything
via the use of such broad terms is merely one way that
each of us expresses their individual prejudice that
"their" reality, truth and knowledge, are the ones
most worth talking about. *smile*

At least we agree that science does not seek to
understand "spiritual reality," nor does science seek
to understand nr interpret any part of "history" as if
it was a human encounter with the "spiritual,"
whatever that is.

By the way, here's a quotation that a friend of mine
uses as his sig line:

"Theology is the ignorance of natural causes reduced
to a system." [Brother Paul Henri Thiry in "Common
Sense" (1772)]

There's some truth to it. I mean how "does" one
explain the relationship between shedding blood and
being forgiven? There's a theological system of belief
that seems unconnected to "natural causes" as we know
them in nature.