Re: New Pope on Darwinism - NO!

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 21:57:27 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Schneider" <rjschn39@bellsouth.net>
To: "Michael Roberts" <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>; "Ted Davis"
<TDavis@messiah.edu>; <asa@calvin.edu>; "Keith Miller" <kbmill@ksu.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 9:20 PM
Subject: Re: New Pope on Darwinism - NO!

> Michael, I've often noted that in creationist literature Theodosius
> Dobzhansky is quoted disapprovingly and dismissively for having said that
> "Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution," quoting
> the title of his 1973 article in _The American Biology Teacher_ (you can
> read it on line at http://www.2think.org/dobzhansky.shtml). None of the
> YECs I've read who quote this, only to put him down, tell their readers
> that Dobzhansky was a Christian. Have you or any one else on the list
> seen this fact stated in YEC literature? Maybe they do not know that he
> is.

Bob -

I agree with your main point in this post but I think it should also be said
that Dobzhansky's statement "Nothing in biology makes sense except in the
light of evolution" is obviously hyperbolic. It is certainly not true that
we can't understand anything about how flowers grow or cells metabolize
without putting the phenomena in an evolutionary framework. It would be
more accurate to say that only in the context of evolutionary theory can all
the various biological phenomena be understood as a coherent whole." But
that doesn't make as sexy a quote.

"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution,"