Re: New Pope on Darwinism - NO!

From: Robert Schneider <rjschn39@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 21:28:26 EDT

Benedict XVI is quoted as saying, "We are not some casual and meaningless
product of evolution.
Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of
us is loved, each of us is necessary."

If I may offer my own spin contra ID, in his first sentence the pope is
rejecting a materialist interpretation of evolution, not a biological
paradigm. In the second and third sentences he is stating a theological
truth. The latter are in conflict with the first, but not with the science
of evolution. However, since the ID crowd refuse to make this distinction,
they leap up and shout "hooray" that the pope (so they believe) is singing
their song. Wishful thinking, I say.

There is another issue the pope raises that I'll address in another post,
having to do with truth.

Bob