Re: New Pope on Darwinism - NO!

From: Robert Schneider <rjschn39@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 21:20:40 EDT

Michael, I've often noted that in creationist literature Theodosius
Dobzhansky is quoted disapprovingly and dismissively for having said that
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution," quoting
the title of his 1973 article in _The American Biology Teacher_ (you can
read it on line at http://www.2think.org/dobzhansky.shtml). None of the
YECs I've read who quote this, only to put him down, tell their readers that
Dobzhansky was a Christian. Have you or any one else on the list seen this
fact stated in YEC literature? Maybe they do not know that he is.

But if they actually read the article, they would find statements like
these:

It is wrong to hold creation and evolution as mutually exclusive
alternatives. I am a creationist and an evolutionist.

and

Does the evolutionary doctrine clash with religious faith? It does not. It
is a blunder to mistake the Holy Scriptures for elementary textbooks of
astronomy, geology, biology, and anthropology. Only if symbols are construed
to mean what they are not intended to mean can there arise imaginary,
insoluble conflicts. As pointed out above, the blunder leads to blasphemy:
the Creator is accused of systematic deceitfulness [referring to the Gosse
argument].
One of the great thinkers of our age, Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, wrote the
following: "Is evolution a theory, a system, or a hypothesis? It is much
more it is a general postulate to which all theories, all hypotheses, all
systems much henceforward bow and which they must satisfy in order to be
thinkable and true. Evolution is a light which illuminates all facts, a
trajectory which all lines of though must follow this is what evolution is."
Of course, some scientists, as well as some philosophers and theologians,
disagree with some parts of Teilhard's teachings; the acceptance of his
worldview falls short of universal. But there is no doubt at all that
Teilhard was a truly and deeply religious man and that Christianity was the
cornerstone of his worldview. Moreover, in his worldview science and faith
were not segregated in watertight compartments, as they are with so many
people. They were harmoniously fitting parts of his worldview. Teilhard was
a creationist, but one who understood that the Creation is realized in this
world by means of evolution.

No doubt the professional YECs would still disapprove, but it would be only
fair if they let their audiences know that Dobzhansky was a Russian Orthodox
Christian.

Bob