Re: New Pope on Darwinism - NO!

From: <RFaussette@aol.com>
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 13:26:58 EDT

In a message dated 4/26/05 12:40:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
drsyme@cablespeed.com writes:
>Recently, Fr. Martin Hilbert of the Toronto Oratory gave
>a talk at Ryerson
>University in which he made perfectly clear that the
>Catholic Church does
>NOT support Darwinism, and anyone who so represents it
>is, at best,
>confused.

And if by Darwinism, you mean random, purposeless
evolution without any influence from God, then I would not
expect the Catholic Church to support Darwinism, and I
doubt anyone here would either.
The Catholic Church is in the same boat you all are (I'm addressing the
list). All they can say is that the religion is not in conflict with evolution (and
the late pope has said that) however, realistically the church is not dealing
with evolution. I attended a lecture on the patriarchs at the headquarters of
opus dei in NY last monday evening. It was given by George Sim Johnston,
author of Did Darwin Get it Right?
He did not counter my remark during his class that Jacob's deliberate
breeding down of Laban's flocks was an example of directed natural selection cited by
Darwin himself. Caused a buzz.
You should also use evolution instead of Darwinism. Evolution is a natural
process and in John Paul's remarks and Benedict's remarks they said evolution.
Darwinism is often used for the social agenda that some people made of
evolution and it is wrong to confound the two.

rich