Re: New Pope on Darwinism - NO!

From: <drsyme@cablespeed.com>
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 12:37:46 EDT

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:30:05 -0400
  "Denyse O'Leary" <oleary@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>Come ON, George!
>
>B 16 is clearly signalling that he will make it more
>difficult to promote
>naturalism by claiming that "the Pope supports
>evolution."

What is wrong with that? Whether you mean methodological
naturalism (which most of us would support) or
philosophical naturalism (which most of us would not) what
difference does it make whether or not the Pope supports
evolution or not? Claiming the Pope thinks this or that
really does not help the argument either way.

>Recently, Fr. Martin Hilbert of the Toronto Oratory gave
>a talk at Ryerson
>University in which he made perfectly clear that the
>Catholic Church does
>NOT support Darwinism, and anyone who so represents it
>is, at best,
>confused.

And if by Darwinism, you mean random, purposeless
evolution without any influence from God, then I would not
expect the Catholic Church to support Darwinism, and I
doubt anyone here would either.