RE: definition of science

From: Alexanian, Moorad <alexanian@uncw.edu>
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 11:46:16 EDT

Emergent concepts or properties from physical systems are physical. Witness the notion of wetness of liquid water, which is not a property of individual water molecules. Wetness is a result of the interaction of water with material surfaces. In fact, the concept of wetness is described purely physically---I recall an article by Noble laureate P.G. de Gennes.

I believe that in the order of existence the physical comes first, then the nonphysical and ultimately that that transcends the whole of nature, the supernatural or spiritual. However, it may be that the nonphysical and the supernatural are one and the same.

Moorad